Regular Council Meeting
April 21, 2012
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Kirk M. McHugh, Jon L. Ankrom, Scott K. Gordon, Donald E. Griffith, Jenny D. Jones, Briggs W. Hamor, Eric A. MacGilvray, President Pro-Tem Also present were Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk-Treasurer, Steven W. Mershon, Solicitor, Lois Yoakam, Newsletter Editor, Karen McElmurray, Marshal, Jody Croley Jones, Web Manager and Michael Jones, Planning Commissioner. At 7:10 pm the Mayor called the meeting to order.
- The minutes of the regular Council meeting March19, 2012 were not read since each member had received a copy. MacGilvray moved and Jones seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- Jones moved and Hamor seconded a motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial report for March 2012, as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor reported that he contacted MORPC and found out there might be some grants that the Village could apply for and he wanted to make sure the Committee on Infrastructure was aware of the timelines, etc. to apply for these. MacGilvray responded that they were aware of this and are pursuing it.
- He reported that the Easter Egg Hunt was a big success and thanked everyone who helped. There were prizes for all. Pat Anderson donated coffee and cookies for the adults.
- Some residents requested that the Village look into having a small playground for the younger children so families can meet and get together. Because of pending infrastructure costs, Council said this could only be done if grants or residents paid for most or all of it. After some discussion, Council decided they would look into the cost, liability, maintenance and location so they would have the proper information before asking the residents if they are interested in this.
Report of the Solicitor
- The Solicitor said he had nothing to report.
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Planning Commissioner reported that there were two Certificate of Appropriateness applications that were approved. Both were revisions to applications approved about a year ago.
Report of the Marshal
- The Marshal reported there were 326 checks with no warnings or citations issued.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- There was no report of the Street Commissioner
Report of the Newsletter Editor
- The Editor would like copy for the Newsletter by May 5th.
Report of the Web Manager
- The Web Manager reported she has been updating the website as she receives information for posting.
- She asked the Mayor to provide some information about the Easter Egg Hunt.
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- There were no comments on agenda items.
- There was no old business to discuss.
Committee on Infrastructure
Hamor, Committee Chair, reported that they met on April 12, 2012. They are looking at four areas for funding over the next six or seven years, which are bonds, tax levies, loans and grants. Committee members have been assigned to each area to research and report back. The next meeting will be May 3rd at 7:30 pm. at 162 W. Riverglen Drive.
Committee on Ordinances
Jenny Jones, Committee Chair, reported that they met March 29, 2012. They discussed what their goals will be. It was decided that residents wanted more user friendly ordinances that reflected the Village. They will look into the sign ordinance and, since most of the problems seem to be with the planning and zoning codes, they will focus on that area. Some suggestions were to try to simplify the planning approval process, consider intent versus practice of ordinances, review the certificate of appropriateness standards, and how to enforce compliance. The next meeting will be April 30th at 7:00 pm in room 127 at the Thomas Worthington High School.
Committee on Communications
Ankrom, Committee Chair, reported that their first meeting will be April 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm at 5830 Falmouth Court. They will evaluate the forms of communication we have now and what can be done in the future.
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
Next Meeting Announcement
KIRK M. MCHUGH, MAYOR
M. COLWELL, CLERK OF COUNCIL