General Information & Frequently Asked Questions

The purpose of this guide is to answer some of the most important and frequently asked questions that Riverlea residents have. If your question is not answered here then please feel free to contact an appropriate member of Village Government.

Trash Collection

Monday is the regular trash collection day in Riverlea. If New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, or Christmas falls on a Monday then collection will be on the following Tuesday.

Trash, recyclables and yard waste should be placed at the curb (not in the street) before 6:00 am on the scheduled collection day, but not more than one day prior. All waste should be covered and/or secured. Empty containers should be removed by the following morning and stored out of sight. See the Trash & Recycling page for more information.


There is a separate collection each Monday for recycling. Glass, aluminum, steel, paper, cardboard, and plastics labeled 1 through 7 (HDPE & PETE) are accepted. Please rinse items out before placing them in the recycling bin. See the Trash & Recycling page for more information.

Yard Waste

There is a separate collection each Monday for yard waste except during the winter. Residents are responsible for bagging their leaves and grass clippings and putting them out with their other waste. Leaves should not be raked into the gutter. Branches and brush should be bundled. See the Trash & Recycling page for more information.

Home Improvement

Please contact the Planning Commissioner if you plan to make any exterior changes to your home to determine if a Certificate of Appropriateness is required. This includes adding a fence, wall, or patio or installing a new driveway apron. The Planning Commission page contains information and forms for obtaining a Certificate of Appropriateness.

Parking Regulations

  • No motor vehicle may be parked on the street for longer than 48 hours.
  • No vehicle may display a “For Sale” sign while parked on the street.
  • Commercial vehicles and trailers may not be parked on the street for more than an hour unless they are being used to perform a service.
  • House trailers may not be parked anywhere in the Village for more than 24 hours unless they are confined within an enclosure that obstructs the view from the street.

Snow Removal

Snow removal services are provided through a contract with Sharon Township. Roads are plowed to the curb or road edge and salt is placed in the center of the roads. Parked vehicles should be moved off of the street after 2 inches of snowfall so that the plows can clear the streets. When shoveling or clearing your driveway please do not throw snow into the street.

Dog Walking & Dog Waste

  • Dogs must be controlled at all times and are not allowed to stray more than 10 feet from the curb onto private property without the owner’s permission.
  • Please pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste properly. Please do not dispose of waste in a neighbor’s trash can or in the storm sewer.

Annual Social Events

The Village sponsors three social events each year: an Easter egg hunt on the Saturday before Easter, a summer picnic, and a party on Halloween Beggar’s Night. All three events are held at the Circle Park on Riverglen Drive. Please visit the Social Committee page for more information. And please come and join the fun!

Portable Storage Units & Dumpsters

There are use, location and time restrictions on the use of storage units and dumpsters. Contact the Planning Commissioner for more information.


The Village restricts the display of yard signs. Before placing any signs within the Village please refer to the sign ordinance (Title XV, Section 152).

Garage Sales

No permit is necessary for garage sales. Garage sale signs may be located only on the property hosting the sale, and may be displayed one day before and on the day of the sale.


No permit is required for door-to-door soliciting in the Village. Residents may post a sign containing the words “No Peddlers or Solicitors” to prevent solicitors from knocking or ringing. Violators should be reported to the Worthington Police on the non-emergency line: (614) 885-4463.

Vehicle License Tags

When registering your vehicle please verify that Riverlea is listed as the taxing district (#2520) so that the appropriate share of the fees goes to the Village. Each year we lose a substantial amount of revenue because vehicles are erroneously registered to Worthington or another municipality.

Local Income Taxes

The Village does not levy a municipal income tax. However, municipal income taxes in Ohio are paid based on where an individual earns income, not where they live. Employers who are located in a municipality where an income tax is levied are responsible for making the appropriate withholdings.


Riverlea residents vote at the Worthington United Methodist Church, 600 High Street, Worthington, OH 43085.