Regular Council Meeting
December 17, 2012
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Kirk M. McHugh, Jon L. Ankrom, Scott K. Gordon, Donald E. Griffith, Briggs W. Hamor, Jenny D. Jones and Eric A. MacGilvray, President Pro-Tem. Also present were Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk-Treasurer, L. Leah Reibel, Solicitor, William P. Charles, Street Commissioner, Karen McElmurray, Marshal, Lois Yoakam, Newsletter Editor, Jody Croley Jones, Web Manager, and Michael Jones, Planning Commissioner. Guests of Council were Carolee Noonan and Jeffery Colwell. At 7:05 p.m. the Mayor called the meeting to order.
- he minutes of the regular Council meeting November 26, 2012 were not read since each member had received a copy. Jones moved and Griffith seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- Ankrom moved and Gordon seconded a motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial report for November 2012, as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
- The Clerk-Treasurer reported that she did not renew the Columbus First Bank CD that came due December 5, 2012. Since the Village was going to begin the sewer maintenance project in 2013, she needed to make sure that all funds were available if necessary.
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor reported that he was contacted by Columbus to see if the Village wanted to be included on the Olentangy Water Trail map. He said he wanted to discuss this with the residents who lived on the river before any decisions were made. The residents do not own the water and cannot stop people from using the river, so it might be a good idea to be included on the map so that people would know that it is private property. It would also show that there is no public access in Riverlea.
- The Mayor, along with Council, expressed their sympathy at the passing of Mary Jo Cusack. She will be deeply missed. He said it would be nice to make a dedication in her memory but historically the Village has never done that. Council agreed since there have been many residents over the years who have given much to the Village. It was decided to take more time to reflect on this so that the community can honor Mary Jo and other residents who have given so much to the Village.
- He announced that Worthington will be holding a Citizen Police Academy in January 2013 and it is open to anyone. The information is on Worthington’s website.
Report of the Solicitor
- The Solicitor had no report
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Commissioner reported that they did not meet this month.
Report of the Marshal
- The Marshal reported there were 288 checks and no citations.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- The Commissioner reported that he completed the 2011 storm water report in the new format. There are some continuing stormwater matters that will need to be addressed.
- He could not attend the City of Columbus Public Utilities Integrated Plan Discussion but Jeff Colwell was able to go. Colwell reported that Columbus plans to pursue an integrated approach to addressing sewer overflows and engaging suburban communities to participate in the process. They are looking at green solutions for stormwater discharge. Riverlea may be able to get some funding to add green infrastructure when the streets and curbs are done or, at least, learn best practices and be able to share those with residents as they replace gutters, construct rain gardens, etc.
Report of the Newsletter Editor
- The Editor would like copy for the Newsletter by January 5th.
- She would like historic information about the Village if anyone has it.
- Hamor will put together an announcement about the SCIP loan for the Newsletter.
Report of the Web Manager
- The Web Manager reported that the web site has been updated
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- Committee on Infrastructure
Briggs Hamor, Chair, announced that the Village was approved for the SCIP loan. Our application came in third place out of 31 applications and only the top nine were funded. The loan is for $665,500 at 0% interest for a 30 year term and will be received in July 2013. The CDBG grant will make their decision in February or March next year
- Committee on Ordinances
Jenny Jones, Chair, reported that she distributed to Council the updated Chapter 150 recommendations based on the feedback she received from them last month. To start the discussion on the zoning code she suggested that it be done in sections since it is so large and complex. Titles 1 and 3 can be discussed at the next Council meeting, then Title 7 at the following meeting and Title 5 last.
- Committee on Communications
Jon Ankrom, Chair, reported that the Committee is continuing to work on updating the website and newsletter.
- Ordinance No. 06-2012
Ordinance No. 06-2012, Annual Appropriation Ordinance (Village) for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2013 was given its third reading. Jones moved to amend Ordinance No. 06-2012 by changing the amount of Program 200 Public Health Service, 210 Payment to County Health District, 300 Contractual Services from $5,055 to $8,095 and to adopt Ordinance No. 06-2012. Hamor seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0)
The Village received a quote from Pharazyn Landscaping for 2013 and 2014 maintenance of the circle and ravine. The amount did not increase for 2013 and there will be a 2% increase for 2014. Council said they were pleased with their work. Hamor moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to accept the Pharazyn Landscaping quote number 50357. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0)
- AEP First Energy
The Clerk-Treasurer received a call from AEP First Energy to discuss switching to them for a discount on the electric bills. The Village has three accounts with AEP that total less than $75/month. AEP First Energy representative, Amanda Hicks, said we could save around 28% on the KWH rate if we locked in their currents rates for two years but they would not send a copy of the contract. Council said they were unsure of how reliable this company was and the savings were not great since we use so little electricity. Council decided they did not want to switch to AEP First Energy.
- Resolution No. 2012-15 Web Manager Appointment
MacGilvray introduced Resolution No. 2012-15, A Resolution to Confirm the Appointment of Jody Croley Jones as Web Manager. Jenny Jones stated that she had expected the Mayor to advertise this position to see if anyone else in the Village was interested in the job. The Mayor replied that he was very satisfied with Jody Jones’ performance and that this position is complicated. There have also been legal issues that Jody Jones has dealt with and kept the Village out of trouble. The Mayor said this is not a job that just anyone can do. It requires expertise in web management. Gordon moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2012-15. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0). Gordon moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2012-15. The following vote was recorded on the motion: Yea, 5; Ankrom, Gordon, Griffith, Hamor and MacGilvray: Nay, 1; Jones. The motion was carried (5-1).
- Resolution No. 2012-16 Planning Commission Appointment
MacGilvray introduced Resolution No. 2012-16, A Resolution to Confirm the Appointment of Jo Ann Bierman as a Member of the Planning Commission. The Mayor stated that Bierman served on the Commission for the past 3 years and wanted to continue. Griffith moved and Hamor seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2012-16. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0). Griffith moved and MacGilvray seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2012-16. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
- Resolution No. 2012-17 Planning Commission Appointment
Jones introduced Resolution No. 2012-17, A Resolution to Confirm the Appointment of Jacalyn Slemmer as a Member of the Planning Commission. The Mayor stated that Slemmer has been active in the community and would be a good addition to the Commission. Ankrom moved and Gordon seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2012-17. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0). Jones moved and Hamor seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2012-17. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
- Village Marshal Appointment
The Mayor did not have to re-appoint the Marshal since her term ran until the end of his term.
- Planning Commissioner Appointment
The Mayor appointed Michael Jones Chair of the Planning Commission, which is also the Planning Commissioner.
Jones moved and MacGilvray seconded the motion to authorize the following expenditures:
$17.23 – office supplies
$18.00 – stamps
$38.38 – flag pole parts
The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
Next Meeting Announcement
There will be a change in the date of the next meeting. The next regular meeting will be Tuesday, January 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm at the Thomas Worthington High School.
KIRK M. MCHUGH, MAYOR
M. COLWELL, CLERK OF COUNCIL