Regular Council Meeting
December 21, 2015
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Kirk M. McHugh, Michael D. Blanchard, Scott K. Gordon, Jenny D. Jones, and Eric A. MacGilvray. Also present were Joshua C. Mehling, Clerk-Treasurer, L. Leah Reibel, Solicitor, Carolee Noonan, Planning Commissioner, Jody Croley Jones, Web Manager, and William P. Charles, Street Commissioner. At 7:01 pm the Mayor called the meeting to order.
- The minutes of the regular Council meeting of November 16, 2015 were not read since each member had received a copy. MacGilvray moved and Gordon seconded the motion that the minutes be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The following vote was recorded on the motion: Yes: 3 – Blanchard, Gordon, MacGilvray; No: 0; Abstain: 1 – Jones. The motion carried (3-0-1).
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- Jones moved and Blanchard seconded the motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial reports for November 2015 as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion carried (4-0).
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor reported that he had received notification of a rate increase from Local Waste Services. This information was not available to approve at this meeting, so the Council would need to approve this at the January meeting.
Report of the Solicitor
- The Solicitor reported that she had two meetings with Mayor-Elect MacGilvray and MORPC regarding the upcoming infrastructure project. They had made some procedural progress and learned about various types of loans and grants for which the Village may be eligible.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- The Street Commissioner reported that the outfall repair work was complete and he had a walkthrough scheduled in a few days. There is still work to be done on the erosion mat at the bottom.
- The Street Commissioner asked Blanchard if he had time to work on replacing the street signs around the Village. Blanchard replied that he had time available in between Christmas and New Year’s, so he could work on it during this time.
- The Street Commissioner reported that he had contacted Decker Construction about repairing several potholes around the Village by the end of the year. They had stated that they could do this work sometime after the holidays.
- The street Commissioner noted that it had been six months since the Lift Station had been cleaned out, so he would schedule a cleaning after the first of the year.
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Planning Commissioner reported that there was no meeting and no applications in December.
- The Planning Commissioner reported that Taylor Surface was willing to serve another term on the Planning Commission at the expiration of his term on 12/31/15. The resolution appointing him to this position would be dealt with under new business.
Report of the Marshal
- There was no report from the Marshal.
Report of the Web Manager
- The Web Manager reported that the Village would be changing statistical programs, as the current service could not provide consistent logs as to which pages on the website were being visited the most.
- The Mayor asked the Web Manager if there was a spot on the site to provide the zoning designations for the Village. He stated that he had received several calls in recent months as to what the zoning designations for properties were. The Solicitor replied that these designations are provided by the City of Worthington, and not by the Village. Other than the apartments along High Street, the entire Village is designated as single family residential. The Planning Commissioner noted that there is a section on the site that deals with zoning for the village and answers such questions.
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- Committee on Infrastructure
The Chair of the Committee reported that he had six meetings recently concerning the upcoming infrastructure project. He stated that he would have a report on these meetings as well as an update on the project at the January meeting. He did mention that construction would likely begin in the spring of 2018.
- Ordinance 11-2015
Ordinance 11-2015, the Annual Appropriation Ordinance was given its third reading. Jones moved and Blanchard seconded the motion to adopt this resolution. The motion passed unanimously (4-0).
- Open Positions
There will be three openings on Council in January, with the expiration of terms for two of the members (Gordon and Jones), as well as MacGilvray becoming Mayor. Gordon stated that he would be willing to serve another term on Council, Jones stated that she would not be doing so. The descriptions for these terms are posted on the web site. The Clerk-Treasurer stated that he would post the link to this information on the Village’s Facebook site.
- Resolution 2015-21
Resolution 2015-21, A Resolution to Reappoint Taylor Surface as a Member of the Planning Commission and to Declare an Emergency was introduced by MacGilvray. Jones moved and Blanchard seconded the motion to waive the three readings of this resolution in order to name Surface to the Commission in time for the scheduled January Planning Commission meeting. The motion passed unanimously (4-0). Blanchard moved and Jones seconded the motion to adopt this resolution. The motion passed unanimously (4-0).
- Resolution 2015-22
Resolution 2015-22, A Resolution of Appreciation to Mayor Kirk McHugh for His Service to the Residents of the Village of Riverlea, Ohio was introduced by Gordon. Gordon moved and MacGilvray seconded the motion to waive the three readings of this resolution in order to recognize the Mayor before the end of his term. The motion passed unanimously (4-0). Blanchard moved and MacGilvray seconded the motion to adopt this resolution. The motion passed unanimously (4-0).
Blanchard moved and Jones seconded the motion to authorize the following expenditures:$285.00 — Ohio Municipal League — 2016 Dues
$495.00 — American Legal Publishing — 2016 Internet fees
$800.00 — MORPC — 2016 Membership dues
$408.50 — Davey Tree Service — Removal of brush at ravine
The motion was approved unanimously (4-0).
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
Next Meeting Announcement
The next regular meeting will be Tuesday, January 19 at 7:00 p.m. at the Thomas Worthington High School.
ERIC A. MACGILVRAY, MAYOR
JOSHUA C. MEHLING, CLERK OF COUNCIL