Regular Council Meeting
July 19, 2010
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Mary Jo Cusack, Jon L. Ankrom, Scott K. Gordon, Eric A. MacGilvray and Daniel W. Noonan. Briggs W. Hamor and Kirk M. McHugh were absent. Also present were Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk-Treasurer, Steven W. Mershon, Solicitor, William P. Charles, Street Commissioner, Jody C. Jones, Web Manager, Lois Yoakam, Newsletter Editor and Michael Jones, Planning Commissioner. Guests of Council are listed on the attached sheet. At 7:00 pm the Mayor called the meeting to order.
- The minutes of the regular Council meeting of June 21, 2010 were not read since each member had received a copy. Ankrom moved and Noonan seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (4-0).
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- MacGilvray moved and Ankrom seconded a motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial report for June 2010, as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (4-0).
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor reported that the planes using the OSU Airport are as noisy as ever. There is also general concern regarding SAFECON and she will stay on top of it to keep everyone informed.
- She attended the Mayors Conference and found it to be informative. She has forwarded some information to Council members.
- Carolee Noonan has agreed to serve as organizer for volunteers to help with recreational activities.
- The Mayor thanked everyone for helping with the July 4 picnic to make it an enjoyable event.
Report of the Solicitor
- There was no report
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Commissioner reported Certificates of Appropriateness were approved for 5800 Olentangy Blvd to make modifications to the front and rear of the house, 5782 Crescent Court to add paver piers to the front porch and 5901 Olentangy Blvd. to add a room behind the garage
Report of the Marshal
- The Mayor introduced her appointment for Marshal, Karen McElmurray.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- The Commissioner reported that two bids were received for the 2010 Street Maintenance. One from Strawser Construction for $224,281.60 and one from American Pavements for $197,447.00. The bid from American Pavements was within 10% of Burgess & Niple’s estimate of $183,000. The engineers also have had good experience with American Pavements and recommend that the Village award the contract to them. They also recommended that we appropriate 5% more than the bid amount to cover any unforeseen changes in the work.
- He is continuing to work on the lift station flow monitoring system. It should be ready by the end of the month
Report of the Newsletter Editor
- The Editor would like copy for the Newsletter by August 5. She is working on updating the directory.
Report of the Web Manager
- The Web Manager reported that she is working on some details on the Web site that were presented as changes were made to the site.
- She also noticed the minutes that are part of the meeting packet which is now posted on the Web site have not been approved. Council did not want unapproved minutes posted on the Web site. She recommended that the Clerk mark them as a draft for the packet and the Clerk agreed.
Report of Parks and Recreation
- There was no report.
MacGilvray’s Report on Cut-Through Discussions with MIG Properties and the Butlers
- MacGilvray reported on the possible cut-through on the 142 E. Riverglen Drive property on the east and north side. He provided a memo to Council regarding his calculations for the cost of the land purchase, the sidewalk construction and the fencing. The price for the land would be approximately $10,000, the cost of the concrete sidewalk would be approximately $5,200 and the fencing approximately $5,300. The total estimate would be $21,000, not including the additional cost of the premium MIG Properties would demand.
- After discussing this with Mike Blanchard, Blanchard suggested that $50,000 be the starting point for the cost of the land. However, Blanchard spoke with the members of MIG Properties and it was determined that they were no longer interested in having a cut-through on their property.
- MacGilvray feels the Village has four options:
- Go ahead and make an offer to MIG Properties
- Use eminent domain
- Have a friendly buyer buy the house and allow the cut-through
- Give up on the cut-through and consider dealing with safety issues on High St. and South St. Keep in mind that the busing may be lost due to budget restraints in the future.
Report on Safe Routes to School Committee
- There will not be a report until August.
Report of Communications Committee
- The Committee did not meet.
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- Mike Blanchard stated that he is tired of dealing with the cut-through. They need to sell the property so the cut-through issue is off the table.
- Jody Jones stated again that she does not want Council to spend any money or anymore time on the cut-through. Also, she is not in favor of spraying for mosquitoes. Currently there is no abundance of mosquitoes and there are no West Nile Virus reports locally. The spray can be hazardous to people, wildlife and beneficial insects. She recommended that everyone refer to the Franklin County Board of Health, Columbus Public Health and the Ohio Dept. of Health Web sites for information.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2010-17
>Resolution No. 2010-17, A Resolution to Express the Intent of Village Council Regarding a Certain Appropriation Proposal. The resolution was read by title for the third reading. MacGilvray moved to table Resolution No. 2010-17 and Noonan seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously (4-0).
- Planning Commission Violations
[5803 Dover Court, 141 W Southington Ave., 5830 Pioneers Court, 138 W Riverglen Drive] More time is needed and will be reported on at the August Council meeting.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2010-18
Resolution No. 2010-18, A Resolution to Confirm the Appointment of Donald McCarthy as a Member of the Planning Commission. The resolution was read by title for the second reading. No comments were made.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2010-19
Resolution No. 2010-19, A Resolution to Confirm the Appointment of Karen McElmurray as Village Marshal. The resolution was read by title for the second reading. McElmurray stated that she has lived in the Village for 32 years and likes people. Her job delivering newspapers takes her door to door throughout the Village. She would approach this job with a common sense attitude and believes she would be a good Marshal.
- Payment of Bills
Sharon Township snow and ice removal $12,404.80
Mayors Association of Ohio dues $40
Fire Department donation $250
Ankrom moved and Gordon seconded the motion to authorize the expenditures of the payment bills listed above. The motion was approved unanimously (4-0).
- RESOLUTION NO. 2010-23
Noonan introduced Resolution No. 2010-23, A Resolution to Award the Contract for the 2010 Street Maintenance Program, to Authorize the Mayor to Enter into an Agreement Therefor. The resolution was read by title for the first reading.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2010-24
MacGilvray introduced Resolution No. 2010-24, A Resolution to Provide for the Removal of Ice and Snow from the Streets of the Village of Riverlea. The resolution was read by title for the first reading.
- Mosquito Spraying
The Mayor reported that in the past Columbus would spray in the Village when they sprayed in Worthington and the Village has not been invoiced. She is not certain that will continue. She has had complaints about mosquitoes. Council stated they want more information before authorizing the spraying. Prevention may be the better option. Jody Jones’ comments earlier were enlightening. Council asked that the mosquito information be put on the Village’s Web site.
- ORDINANCE NO. 02-2010
Noonan introduced Ordinance No. 02-2010, An Ordinance to Approve the Modification and Realignment of Ordinance 10-2009, The Annual Appropriation Ordinance (Village). The resolution was read by title for the first reading. The Clerk reported that his ordinance is needed to amend the appropriations for the 2010 Street Maintenance Program.
- Resolution for Maribah Mansfield
There were not enough votes to waive the three readings and the Mayor wanted to present the resolution this week. So it was decided that the Mayor could issue a proclamation. Noonan moved and MacGilvray seconded the motion to authorize the Mayor to issue a proclamation for the appreciation of Maribah Mansfield’s service to the Worthington community, including the Village of Riverlea. The motion was approved unanimously (4-0).
- SWACO Fee Increase
SWACO says they need a fee increase. The vote has been postponed until October 5, 2010 so they can get more information out about why they need this increase. The Mayor is on the board and wants Council to let her know how to vote on this issue.
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
There were no comments on non-agenda items
Special Meeting Announcement
There will be a special meeting on July 26, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. at the Thomas Worthington High School, Room 185.
Next Meeting Announcement
The next regular meeting will be Monday, August 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm at the Thomas Worthington High School, Room 185.
There being no further business, MacGilvray moved and Ankrom seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion was approved unanimously (4-0). The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.
MARY JO CUSACK, MAYOR
M. COLWELL, CLERK OF COUNCIL