Regular Council Meeting
March 18, 2013
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Kirk M. McHugh, Jon L. Ankrom, Scott K. Gordon, Briggs W. Hamor, Jenny D. Jones and Eric A. MacGilvray, President Pro-Tem. Donald E. Griffith was absent Also present were Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk-Treasurer, L. Leah Reibel, Solicitor, William P. Charles, Street Commissioner, Michael Jones, Planning Commissioner, Karen McElmurray, Marshal and Lois Yoakam, Newsletter Editor. Guest of Council was Carolee Noonan. At 7:00 pm the Mayor called the meeting to order.
- The minutes of the regular Council meeting of February 19, 2013 were not read since each member had received a copy. MacGilvray moved and Jones seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- Jones moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial report for February 2013, as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor had no report.
Report of the Solicitor
- The Solicitor reported that she investigated the options for Clerk-Treasurer, which is now an elected position. It used to be two separate elected positions and can be separated again. In order to change from an elected position to an appointed one, the Clerk and Treasurer positions will have to stay combined and would become the Village Fiscal Officer. Council can make this change by resolution or ordinance. Council can look outside of the Village to fill the position if it is appointed.
Council asked the Solicitor to research what Village Fiscal Officers earned annually for a community our size. They expressed their desire to look for someone within the Village first and have asked that the Clerk-Treasurer position be advertised in the Newsletter and on the website.
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Commission met this month and approved plans to build a new home on Southington.
Report of the Marshal
- The Marshal reported there were 282 checks and no citations.
- She also cautioned residents parking on the street that there have been acts of vandalism on Olentangy Boulevard for the past two months.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- The Commissioner reported that the Committee on Infrastructure is meeting this Thursday to look at bond issuance information and storm sewer/water line assessment costs.
Report of the Newsletter Editor
- The Editor would like copy for the Newsletter by April 5th.
- She reported that she mailed 37 fewer copies because of residents signing up for the online Newsletter.
- Council asked that the Clerk-Treasurer position and the four Council positions coming up for election at the end of this year be advertised in the Newsletter.
- The Mayor asked that something be put in the Newsletter about being watchful of the kids playing outside. There seem to be more each year.
Report of the Web Manager
- Mike Jones gave the Web Manager’s report. He reported that 16% of the residents have already signed up for the online Newsletter.
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- Sign Ordinance Amendment
Jenny Jones introduced Ordinance No. 02-2013, An Ordinance to Amend the Sign Ordinance of the Village and it was given its first reading. MacGilvray questioned the 32 square foot limit in section 152.05(B) Development Signs as being too large. Council agreed and decided it should not exceed 13 square feet.
- Engineering Resolution
Hamor introduced Resolution No. 2013-07, A Resolution to Provide for the Acquisition of Engineering Services for the 2013 Villagewide Sanitary Sewer Improvement Project. MacGilvray moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2013-07. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0). MacGilvray moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2013-07. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Committee on Infrastructure
Briggs Hamor, Chair, reported that he contacted MORPC regarding the SCIP loan and was told we can expect a letter in April with the details and the money should be received July 1, 2013. He cautioned that we cannot have a construction contract prior to July 1st or we will lose the loan.
He also inquired about the CDBG and, based on the current state of the Federal governmental funding, we should not expect any grant.
- Committee on Ordinances
Jenny Jones, Chair, will discuss Chapter 151 recommendations at the end of the Council meeting tonight.
- Committee on Communications
Jon Ankrom, Chair, reported that the Committee is still working on a campaign to encourage residents to opt out of receiving the newsletter by mail.
Karen McElmurray asked if the Newsletter can accept advertisements to offset the cost of producing it. Council thought it would be too complicated to do so and that the goal was to go to only an online newsletter in the future.
- Ordinance No. 01-2013
Ankrom introduced Ordinance No. 01-2013, An Ordinance to Approve a Modification and Realignment of Ordinance 06-2012, the Annual Appropriation Ordinance (Village). Hamor moved and MacGilvray seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Ordinance No. 01-2013. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0). Gordon moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to adopt Ordinance No. 01-2013. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Resolution No. 2013-08
Jenny Jones introduced Resolution No. 2013-08, A Resolution to Advance Funds from the General Fund to the Capital Projects Fund. MacGilvray moved and Gordon seconded the motion suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2013-08. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0). Hamor moved and Jones seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2013-08. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
MacGilvray moved and Gordon seconded the motion to authorize the following expenses:
$520.00 – Franklin County Emergency Management and Homeland Security 2013 proportionate share
$59.92 – Clerk-Treasurer reimbursement for postage and office supplies.
The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Liability Insurance
The annual premium for the Ohio Municipal Joint Self-Insurance Pool is due April 1, 2013. Council can renew at the one year option or choose one of the three year options for a $242 annual savings. Council said they were pleased with the past response to claims. Hamor moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to elect the Annual Option with a three year commitment for $2,855. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Chapter 151 Zoning
Jenny Jones began the presentation of the recommendations of the Committee on Ordinances for the Zoning Code. Council discussed the recommendations and noted that some sections needed more research. The presentation will continue at the next Council meeting. Notes will be compiled at the completion of the discussions.
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
Next Meeting Announcement
The next regular meeting will be Monday, April 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm at the Thomas Worthington High School in room 127.
KIRK M. MCHUGH, MAYOR
M. COLWELL, CLERK OF COUNCIL