Regular Council Meeting
March 19, 2012
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Kirk M. McHugh, Jon L. Ankrom, Scott K. Gordon, Donald E. Griffith, Jenny D. Jones, Briggs W. Hamor, Eric A. MacGilvray, President Pro-Tem Also present were Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk-Treasurer, Steven W. Mershon, Solicitor, Lois Yoakam, Newsletter Editor, Karen McElmurray, Marshal, William P. Charles, Street Commissioner, Jody Croley Jones, Web Manager and Michael Jones, Planning Commissioner. Guests of Council were Dan Noonan, Cordelia Noonan, Rachael Kingrey, Jacalyn Slemmer and Marc Benevento. At 7:00 pm the Mayor called the meeting to order.
There was no presentation
Riverlea Fun Run
Rachael Kingrey and Cordelia Noonan gave a presentation for the Riverlea Fun Run that they are organizing with the help of Regan Macerollo. The one mile run will be held June 2, 2012 at 9:30 am and includes children and adults. There will be registration fees and they will supply some t-shirts, snacks and water. They are asking Council to donate $300 towards the supplies and will be also asking local businesses for support. Any profits will be donated to the food pantry.
Council said they would like to support this and will assist in getting the information out to residents by posting on the kiosks, in the Newsletter and on the Village’s website. McElmurray volunteered to deliver notices to residents.
- The minutes of the regular Council meeting February 21, 2012 were not read since each member had received a copy. Ankrom moved and Gordon seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- MacGilvray moved and Griffith seconded a motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial report for February 2012, as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor reported that the recent power outage was a circuit board and not a problem in the Village.
- The Mayor proclaimed that the next Council meeting will be changed from April 16, 20112 to April 17, 2012.
Report of the Solicitor
- The Solicitor said he had nothing to report.
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Planning Commission did not meet in March.
Report of the Marshal
- The Marshal reported there were 342 checks with no warnings or citations issued.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- The Street Commissioner reported he has not yet had the chance to check with other street sweeping services for quotes.
- He is working with the Committee on Infrastructure.
Report of the Newsletter Editor
- The Editor would like copy for the Newsletter by April 5th.
- She has one story that was submitted for the next Newsletter.
Report of the Web Manager
- The Web Manager told Council that she responds to emails within one day and if they had not heard from her after one day, then they should send their email again because she did not receive it.
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- There were no comments on agenda items.
Members of Council will assist the Clerk-Treasurer in sorting boxes of documents per the Records Retention Schedule. It was agreed to meet at her home on March 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm to do this.
Easter Egg Hunt
The Mayor will handle the Easter Egg Hunt this year and he is still looking for volunteers to assist him. It will be held Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:00 am at the Riverglen Circle. If anyone is interested in helping, please contact him.
The Clerk-Treasurer discussed the Village’s Investment Policy and the limited investments options available to the Village. As a public entity the Village’s revenues cannot be put at risk and must be available when funds are appropriated. Treasury bills, bank accounts and certificates of deposits are at an all-time low. She asked Council for guidance as to what they expect to be spending in the next 12 months. Hamor, Chair of the Committee on Infrastructure, said they are currently working on a timeline for infrastructure repairs and will have a good idea of costs in the next couple of months. Council decided that 6 month CD’s would be fine for now.
Maintenance of Entrance Signs/Flowers
The Clerk-Treasurer has been volunteering to plant, weed and water the flowers at the two front entrances for years and would like someone to help. Annuals require a lot of maintenance and Gordon recommended bushes as a better option. The Mayor suggested that a local service group, such as the Boy Scouts, may want to do this as a project and he asked Yoakam to put this in the Newsletter. Jenny Jones recommended planting perennials. It was decided to plant bushes, such as roses, and the Mayor will look into it.
Committee on Infrastructure
Hamor, Committee Chair, reported that they met on March 8, 2012. He thanked the Street Commissioner for the spreadsheet with detailed information of the four areas they will be reviewing; water lines, streets, storm sewers and sanitary sewers. They have most of the information for the sanitary sewers because of the SSES recently completed. He asked the Clerk-Treasurer to come up with a 5 year plan for revenues and expenses. The Committee is working on the timing, order and funding of these four areas. They are planning to apply for grants with OPWC and others. The Mayor wants the residents to know that we have tried to save as much money as possible before going to them to ask for approval of a bond issue. The next meeting will be April 12th at 7:30 pm at 162 W. Riverglen Drive.
Committee on Ordinances
Jenny Jones, Committee Chair, reported she plans to schedule the meeting next week. The first meeting will focus on defining goals and then come up with a plan of action. She wants to streamline ordinances where needed. She asked Council if they had any specific goals in mind. The Mayor said she needs to look at the solicitation ordinance and a permit process for zoning/planning. He would like to see residents fill out a form for a fence instead of having a Planning Commission meeting. The Commission meetings should be only for major things.
Committee on Communications
Ankrom, Committee Chair, reported they will meet on the last Tuesday each month. The first meeting will be April 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm at 5830 Falmouth Court. They will see what can be done to improve communications and still follow State regulations for open meetings and records retention.
The Clerk-Treasurer stated she will have to amend the appropriations to make sure enough money was allocated for the $300 Fun Run expenses.
MacGilvray moved and Hamor seconded the motion to authorize the following expenses:
- Reimburse the Clerk-Treasurer for postage and paper costs $34.19
- Burgess & Niple invoice $2478.12
- Franklin County Emergency Management invoice $487.00
- Riverlea Fun Run $300
The motion was approved unanimously (6-0).
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
Next Meeting Announcement
KIRK M. MCHUGH, MAYOR
M. COLWELL, CLERK OF COUNCIL