Ordinances Recently Adopted by the Riverlea Village Council
The Village of Riverlea recognizing the need for internal regulation adopted the ‘Code of Ordinances of the Village of Riverlea.’ These are available to our residents and to the general public on the Web site of the American Legal Publishing Corporation.American Legal Publishing Corporation. This page is intended only to let our residents know of impending and recent ordinances.
An Ordinance to Provide For the Further Regulation of Dumpsters and Temporary Storage Facilities in the Village
Introduced by: Mr. Schaer
WHEREAS, Council of the Village of Riverlea has determined that the unregulated use and placement of dumpsters and storage facilities within the Village may limit the delivery of police and fire safety services to residents by obstructing access to buildings and by impairing the ability to view areas surrounding buildings, and may affect the aesthetics and general welfare of the community by the storage of construction waste and other materials for extended periods of time; and
WHEREAS, Council of the Village Of Riverlea has determined to regulate the size, location and use of temporary storage facilities and dumpsters within the Village to promote the health, safety and security of residents of the Village.
Now, Therefore, be It Ordained by the Council of the Village of Riverlea, State of Ohio:
Section l. Regulation of Location and Duration of Dumpsters and Temporary storage Facilities. That the following new Section 151.029 of the Codified Ordinances of the Village of Riverlea is hereby adopted:
§151.029 Dumpsters and Temporary Storage Facilities
- Definitions. As used in this Section
- Portable Storage Unit(s)” shall mean any container, storage unit, shed-like container or other portable structure that can or is used for the storage of personal property of any kind and which is designed or intended to be located for such purposes outside an enclosed building for a temporary period of time until the portable storage unit is moved to an off-site location.
- “Dumpster” shall mean any bulk container placed for use as a depository for refuse, trash, garbage, construction materials or debris, except that the term “dumpster” shall not include any such container that by size may not hold in excess of 90 gallons of materials.
- Usage, Frequency and Duration.
- Usage of Portable Storage Unit. No Portable Storage Unit shall be placed or maintained on any real property, public or private, within the Village except in accordance with the requirements of this Section. No Portable Storage Unit shall be placed or maintained on any real property, public or private, within the Village except that one Portable Storage Unit may be located or maintained by a person upon real property under the ownership or control of that person within the Village either (a) to hold or to secure property of such person that cannot conveniently be maintained within a residential structure upon such real property as a result of construction work within such residential structure; or (b) for loading or unloading property when moving to or from a residential structure located on such real property.
- Usage of Dumpsters. No Dumpster shall be placed or maintained on any real property, public or private, within the Village except in accordance with the requirements of this Section. No Dumpster shall be placed or maintained on any real property, public or private, within the Village except that one Dumpster may be used for holding refuse, garbage, construction materials or debris when cleaning, maintenance or other construction work on a property or a residential structure located on such lot may require a place to throw away large amounts of waste; or for holding waste when moving to or from a structure located on that lot.
- Frequency and Duration. As used in this Section, an “event” shall consist of the delivery and pick-up of the portable storage unit or multiple deliveries and pick-ups within a consecutive thirty (30) calendar day period. No Portable Storage Units and no Dumpsters, otherwise permitted by this Section to be placed or maintained on any real property within the Village, shall be maintained for a period of time in excess of thirty successive calendar days per event, and no person shall cause more than three (3) events per calendar year to occur with respect to any single residential structure located in the Village. There shall be at least thirty (30) calendar days in between each event. Notwithstanding the foregoing, upon application, the Planning Commission of the Village may permit the occurrence of an event lasting more than of thirty (30) calendar days described above, provided a certificate of appropriateness is issued pursuant to Section 151.070 for the construction or other activity on the property for which the Portable Storage Units or Dumpster is required.
- Location. No Portable Storage Units or Dumpsters shall be located in any street or public right of way, except as part of construction activity being conducted by or on behalf of a governmental unit within a street or public right of way. No Portable Storage Units or Dumpsters designed to serve the occupants of any private property shall be located other than in a driveway, rear or side yard of such property and not closer to a street or lot line than any front, side or rear yard setback required for the construction of buildings upon such property. No Portable Storage Units or Dumpsters designed to serve the occupants of any private property shall be located closer than 15 feet to any residential structure located on an adjacent parcel of land.
- Responsibilities of vendors and users. The vendor of any Portable Storage Unit or Dumpster shall ensure that the unit is in good condition, free from evidence of deterioration, weathering, discoloration, rust, ripping, tearing or other holes or breaks. When not being accessed immediately by a person, the Portable Storage Unit shall be kept locked. Dumpster lids and doors shall be kept tightly and completely closed when not in use. No hazardous substances may be stored or kept within a portable storage unit and/or dumpster. The area surrounding the dumpster shall be kept clean and free of loose debris. The vendor shall indicate their name and contact telephone number on the Portable Storage Unit or Dumpster.
- Relationship to Other Laws. Nothing in this Section is intended to limit or supersede any other provision of the Riverlea Codified Ordinances or applicable laws of the State of Ohio, including those that that regulate the use of property within the Village or activities thereon. Anyone who violates any provision of this Section shall be subject to the penalties provided in Section 151.999 of the Riverlea Codified Ordinances.
Section 2. Effective Date. That this Ordinance shall take effect from and after the earliest date permitted by law.
Section 3. Open Meetings. This Council finds and determines that all formal actions of this Council concerning and relating to the passage of this Ordinance were taken in an open meeting of this Council and that all deliberations of this Council that resulted in those formal actions were in meetings open to the public in compliance with law.
Section 4. Publication. That pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 731.25, the Council of the Village of Riverlea hereby determines that publication of this Ordinance in a newspaper is unnecessary and does hereby determine that this Ordinance shall be published by posting copies hereof in the five following places which are determined to be the five most public places in the Village of Riverlea, Ohio:
- The Circle on West Riverglen Drive.
- The Ravine Park on West Riverglen Drive.
- The Northwest corner of Beverly Place and Dover Court.
- Lot 75 on West Riverglen Drive.
- Lot 7 on West Southington Avenue.
Copies of this Ordinance shall be posted continuously in the above-mentioned places for a period of fifteen (l5) days and at the expiration thereof this Ordinance shall become effective.Passed this 17th day of November, 2008.
John A. Shaer, President of Council
Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk of Council
Mary Jo Cusack, Mayor
I hereby certify that on the 18th day of November, 2008, I posted a copy of the above Ordinance in each of the five places heretofore designated by Council as the most public places in the Village of Riverlea and that the same remained there posted continuously for fifteen (l5) days.
Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk of Council