Regular Council Meeting
September 17, 2012
The Council of the Village of Riverlea met on the above date at the Thomas Worthington High School, Worthington. The following Council members were present: Mayor Kirk M. McHugh, Jon L. Ankrom, Scott K. Gordon, Donald E. Griffith, Briggs W. Hamor and Jenny D. Jones. Eric A. MacGilvray, President Pro-Tem., was absent. Also present were Pamela M. Colwell, Clerk-Treasurer, Steven W. Mershon, Solicitor, William P. Charles, Street Commission, Karen McElmurray, Marshal, Lois Yoakam, Newsletter Editor, and Michael Jones, Planning Commission. Guests of Council were Greg Bonk and Leah Reibel. At 7:05 pm the Mayor called the meeting to order.
- The minutes of the regular Council meeting August 20, 2012 and the Public Forum on Sewers August 20, 2012 were not read since each member had received a copy. Ankrom moved and Griffith seconded a motion that the minutes of August 20, 2012 be approved as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0)
Report of the Clerk-Treasurer
- Griffith moved and Hamor seconded a motion to approve the payment of bills and to accept the financial reports for August 2012, as submitted by the Clerk-Treasurer. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
Report of the Mayor
- The Mayor reported that the West Nile Virus has appeared in Riverlea but it is too late now to schedule mosquito spraying. He saw that the Village is on the Do Not Spray list and he is going to have us removed since the virus is a serious health issue. This list is separate from the individual household do not spray list which will stay as is. However, when there is a health threat, the lists are no longer valid and the County sprays everywhere.
- He has heard from residents who are against killing the deer. He spoke with Worthington regarding the deer problem and they had some deer repellent suggestions, which he will get up on the Village’s website. In the meantime he will let Columbus and Franklin County know we have a problem and see if they have any solutions.
- Budget Commission will need to meet to discuss the appropriations for 2013. The Commission will set a meeting date and have the appropriations ready for the next Council meeting.
- He just heard from Worthington that the police contract will increase 3% next year.
Report of the Solicitor
- There was no report.
Report of the Planning Commissioner
- The Commission met on September 10, 2012 and tabled an application for a certificate of appropriateness so the applicant could modify the plans.
Report of the Marshal
- The Marshal reported there were 279 checks and no citations.
Report of the Street Commissioner
- The Commissioner reported that Burgess & Niple submitted the addendum to the SSES report.
Report of the Newsletter Editor
- The Editor would like copy for the Newsletter by October 5th.
Report of the Web Manager
- Mike Jones gave the Web Manager’s report. There is a new program to allow the Mayor to post special announcements on the website when the Web Manager is not available. The Mayor asked Council if the President of Council should also have access and they agreed.
Comments from Residents on Agenda Items
- RV Parking in the Village
The Marshal said she issued a notice of violation to the resident on Dover. The RV has been removed.
- Committee on Infrastructure
Briggs Hamor, Chair, submitted the SCIP application to MORPC. He thanked Bill Charles for all of his hard work. The application went in for $465,500, instead of $665,500, because there was a good chance of getting the CDBG grant of $200,000. We should have a decision on the grant before the loan is decided and can increase the loan amount if the grant does not come through. So now the Committee will start working on the CDBG grant due next month.
- Committee on Ordinances
Jenny Jones, Chair, reported that the Committee met September 13, 2012 to discuss the next steps to changes in Chapter 150, Building Code, and Chapter 151, Zoning Code. Mike Jones proposed starting over with Chapter 151, Zoning Code, by using Worthington’s code as a starting point. The Committee members will give their input on both chapters. She will compile and organize it to distribute it to Council at the October meeting. Then it will be Council’s decision on what changes to make.
- Committee on Communications
Jon Ankrom, Chair, reported that the Committee met August 28, 2012. They discussed a new website layout and will be reviewing it at the next meeting. They also discussed changing the layout and content of the Newsletter and potentially going to a quarterly format with a monthly highlight sheet in order to save money.
- Ordinance No. 03-2012
Ordinance No. 03-2012, An Ordinance to Modify Restrictions on Uninvited Peddlers and Solicitors was given its third reading. Jones moved and Griffith seconded the motion to adopt Ordinance No. 03-2012. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Resolution No. 2012-10
Ankrom introduced Resolution No. 2012-10, A Resolution Accepting the Amounts and Rates as Determined by the Budget Commission and Authorizing the Necessary Tax Levies and Certifying Them to the County Auditor. Hamor moved and Griffith seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2012-10. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0). Ankrom moved and Jones seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2012-10. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Resolution No. 2012-11
Ankrom introduced Resolution No. 2012-11, A Resolution to Provide for the Removal of Ice and Snow From the Streets of the Village of Riverlea. Ankrom stated that the resolution, as introduced, stated the amount expended pursuant to the Resolution shall not exceed $20,000. Gordon moved and Griffith seconded the motion to suspend the three readings of Resolution No. 2012-11. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0). Gordon moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to adopt Resolution No. 2012-11. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
- Introduction of L. Leah Reibel, Esq./Candidate for Solicitor
Mayor announced that Steve Mershon, the Village’s Solicitor, will be retiring. The Solicitor gave the Mayor a list of 4 possible candidates. In reviewing the candidates, he believed Ms. Reibel was the strongest candidate. She lives and works in Worthington and has previously assisted the Village in legal matters.
The Mayor introduced Ms. Reibel and she spoke about her experience as an attorney and that she has been an attorney since 1991. Currently, she is active in the Worthington Chamber of Commerce. She was counsel to the City Council of the District of Columbia, in charge of legislation. Since she lives across High Street from the Village she is very familiar with Riverlea.
The Halloween party costs between $200 and $300 for hotdogs and apple cider. Jenny Jones said that due to budgetary concerns with the upcoming infrastructure costs, she would like to see the Village act fiscally responsible and try to limit the funds expended for this party. Council felt the party was a tradition and was important to residents. Greg Bonk suggested that the Friends of Riverlea pitch in to help with the costs. Council liked his idea and will ask residents to donate food or money but they would authorize up to $150 if not enough donations were made.
The Clerk-Treasurer needed to be reimbursed for $51.80 in postage.
Jones moved and Hamor seconded the motion to authorize the expenditure of up to $150 for the Halloween party and to authorize the expenditure of $51.80 for postage. The motion was approved unanimously (5-0).
Comments from Residents on Non-Agenda Items
Jones moved and Ankrom seconded the motion to adjourn to Executive Session pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 121.22(G)(1) to discuss the appointment, employment or compensation of a public official or employee and Ohio Revised Code Section 121.22(G)(3) conferences with an attorney involving pending or imminent court action. The following vote was recorded on the motion: Yea, 5, Ankrom, Gordon, Griffith, Hamor and Jones: No, 0. The motion was approved 5-0. Council adjourned into Executive Session at 7:50 pm.
Hamor moved and Gordon seconded the motion to adjourn out of Executive Session and resume Open Session. The following vote was recorded on the motion: Yea, 5, Ankrom, Gordon, Griffith, Hamor and Jones: No, 0. The motion was approved 5-0.
Council resumed Open Session at 8:15 pm.
Next Meeting Announcement
The next regular meeting will be Monday, October 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm at the Thomas Worthington High School.
KIRK M. MCHUGH, MAYOR
M. COLWELL, CLERK OF COUNCIL